Our Dark Duet by Victoria SchwabMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
The world and concept are so unique in this 2nd book of a YA monster-filled duology.
It explores the very concept of what humanity is and whether or not those traits are inherent to only humans, or just higher lifeforms in general. There's also a brand new monster that is rather chilling in the way it feeds on humans.
For me, the story drug on at times, and I could have used some more compelling forward motion. The characters are indeed fascinating, both monsters and humans alike, but I haven't found my groove with V.E. Schwab yet. She has some of the most fascinating concepts and brilliant worlds ever, but I'm unable to fully immerse myself into the stories for some reason. I can't seem to let go and exist insider her stories and worlds the way I want to, and I'm not sure why. I think it is probably something unique to me. So far, I have read all of her books by audiobook, so perhaps I need to try her out in print, in case that makes any difference...give myself a bit more time and head space to take the stories in at my own rate.
Overall, it's a solid read with a satisfying and realistic ending.
Pages: 510
No comments:
Post a Comment