Summary: A boy name Kyo is saved from the precipice of death by Bamboo, a vampire born of the tall grasses. They start an enjoyable, yet strange shared life together, Kyo and the gentle Bamboo. But for Bamboo, communication with a human being is the greatest sin.
Kyo's story is uniquely beautiful and touching. I found myself continually wishing I were able to read this in the original Japanese as it was occasionally obvious that something was left behind in the translation. And while there are two additional stories in the novel, Kyo's is the best by far.
Overall, this novel is a fresh take on 'horror' - one that is thoughtful, hopeful, and sad all at the same time. It isn't the best book I've ever read, it's not even in the top third, but I am thankful to have read it.
3.5/5
288 pages

No comments:
Post a Comment