Summary: In Furiously Happy, #1 New York Times bestselling author Jenny Lawson explores her lifelong battle with mental illness. A hysterical, ridiculous book about crippling depression and anxiety? That sounds like a terrible idea.
I have been hanging on to this book for a while. A couple of years ago, I read Lawson's first book, Let's Pretend This Never Happened and I thoroughly enjoyed it. You'd think that would make me pick up the next one with gusto - nope. The fear of it not living up to the hype is real, and sadly - true.
What I liked:
The Honesty - Jenny talks about her mental illness with a frankness that is refreshing. She lays it all out there, never mind the stigma. The more serious parts of the book are heartfelt and touching. You can feel her pain, frustration, and ultimately, her hope.
The Conversations - The funniest parts of this book are her conversations with her husband, mother, and friends. Hearing what goes on in her head, their responses, and how a mental illness can mean so many different things to so many people, especially those closest, was fascinating, often hilarious, and totally relatable.
What was 'Meh':
The Inner Dialogue - Jenny rambles and rambles and rambles. She often starts with a funny thought (I did chuckle more than once), but then she beats it to death until all of the funny is gone.
The Language - I'm all for the occasional well placed cuss word. But they are everywhere in this book, and it ruined some of the funny for me.
3/5
353 pages

No comments:
Post a Comment