Something About You by Julie JamesMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
I wouldn't have picked this book up if Nicole hadn't recommended it to me. Based on how obsessed she was by everything written by this author, I knew I should give it a try.
While this isn't my typical read, I absolutely enjoyed every second of this--I'm not even sure how to genre it--criminal romance? That doesn't sound quite right. Romantic Crime Drama? It's in the Janet Evanovich realm of crime meets romance, but it's a bit more serious and emotional, where Evanovich leans harder towards zany and hilarious.
I immediately started book 2, which is what's important. This was such an easy, delightful read after some of the heavy and lengthy books I've read lately. It follows the formula I would expect for a criminal justice romance, which I like, because let's face it, it's a good formula. If you need proof, then I refer you back to the 80 billion seasons of CSI, Bones, Law & Order, Castle, etc.
I imagine I will likely devour everything by Julie James before proceeding back to my TBR, because she's has captured my attention. She makes everything about the story seem so smooth and easy, but the reality is writing a story is never those things. I like authors that have you so caught up in the story that you never stop to over-analyze anything, in terms of the writing or story structure. It means they've done their job well.
For those reasons, it gets 5 stars, even though I confess I'd be unlikely to reread this book, despite really enjoying it. The reality is that I can't reread them all anyway, and when it's a book I don't want to put down from start to finish, then it deserves all 5 stars.
Book 55 read in 2018
Pages: 307
No comments:
Post a Comment