Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge


Thursday, January 30, 2020

ALL THE THINGS #10 (And Everyone is Asking, is She Ever Going to Stop. . . Yes, I Am. This is my last post on this blog.)

The Festivus MiracleThe Festivus Miracle

by Kim Fielding

My rating:
4 of 5 stars

It's not bad for a short story.


Oklahoma Christmas Blues (The McIntyre Men, #1)Oklahoma Christmas Blues

by Maggie Shayne

My rating:
2 of 5 stars

Nope. Not was I was looking for in a Christmas story.


Crazy for You: Christmas in Starlight Hill (Starlight Hill #5.5)Crazy for You: Christmas in Starlight Hill

by Heatherly Bell

My rating:
  3 of 5 stars

It's just okay.


A Holiday by GaslightA Holiday by Gaslight

by Mimi Matthews

My rating:
3 of 5 stars

This felt like another swing and a miss on my Christmas Reading binge. It's not bad. It's just also not that great.


All I Want for ChristmasAll I Want for Christmas

by Nora Roberts

My rating:

3 of 5 stars

Cute kids. The rest was pretty meh for me.


Rose (Wildflower Brides, #1)Rose

by Vanessa Vale

My rating:

3 of 5 stars

I was not completely interested in this one, but I'm going to give book 2 a try, in case it's just me.


Hyacinth (Wildflower Brides, #2)Hyacinth

by Vanessa Vale

My rating:
3 of 5 stars

Just okay for me.


The Start of Something Good (Stay, #1)The Start of Something Good

by Jennifer Probst

My rating:
4 of 5 stars

A solid read.


A Brand New Ending (Stay, #2)A Brand New Ending

by Jennifer Probst

My rating:
4 of 5 stars

I'm still enjoying this series, overall.


All Roads Lead to You (Stay, #3)All Roads Lead to You

by Jennifer Probst

My rating:
5 of 5 stars

It’s the animals. I loved them all, and they won me over. Plus, who doesn’t enjoy an Irish accent?


LiesLies by Kylie Scott
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The premise was fantastic, and it started out great! I really enjoyed the witty banter, and the comedy paired with action-adventure. Somehow it seemed to lose luster as the story went on, though, so I definitely liked the first half the best, and then my interested faded just a bit in the second half.

Also, there were a ton of side characters that weren't very well developed. The story would have been more interesting and had a better emotional impact if we had gotten a better feel for those side characters, since they were important to the plot. But overall, it was a fun and different read, which I appreciated.

The narrator was excellent, but everyone always loves Andi Arndt. So no surprises there.


Forest Fire (The Legends of Regia, #2)Forest Fire
by Tenaya Jayne

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I wanted to love this, but it felt messy in a bad way. I'm going to give book 3 a try, but if I don't love it, I think I am done with this series. The world and concept are interesting to me, but this just isn't as well-written and well-plotted as I need to stay intrigued. Also, I wanted the character development to grow each book, as well as the world building, and I don't think there was nearly enough of either to suit me.


Verdant (The Legends Of Regia, #3Verdant (The Legends Of Regia, #3

by Tenaya Jayne

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is sad and whimsical. I really wanted a stronger story, but I think it was hard to pull off the depth that I wanted from this in so few pages. That left it falling just a bit flat, when it should have been really emotional.


The Night Realm (Spell Weaver, #1)The Night Realm by Annette Marie
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I liked the premise, overall concept for the world, and the cover. The actually story just fell short of what I wanted and hoped for. I think the storyline could be stronger, as well as the writing. There just needed to be some more real conflict and less melodrama.

I don't dislike this, but I also don't love it enough to move onward in the series. I could have used some stronger character development and a better developed, more believable plot. Also, there's just not as much originality in this as I hoped for, based on the premise.

The audiobook narration by Melissa Moran and Greg Tremblay was solid. I really enjoyed Melissa Moran who is clear, easy to understand, and provides just the right amount of emotion.


Serial HottieSerial Hottie by Kelly Oram
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

On some level, character behaviors in this story are absolutely unsafe and not at all social acceptable. The problem is, that's part of the premise of the story, which is why I now feel bad that those behaviors made me so uncomfortable, as it was how the concept came to be.

If that sounds confusing and convoluted, then now you have a better understanding of my mediocre rating, because my feelings about this are all sorts of mixed up. Some parts of it are good. Others are just absolutely unacceptable and maybe sending some scary messages to women about how they should expect to be treated by the men they love.

Long story short, it was interesting, just not always enjoyable and rewarding.


Thoughtless (Thoughtless, #1)Thoughtless by S.C. Stephens
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Watching some of these characters, who were supposedly nice and decent people, behave so poorly and stupidly and unkindly sort of really pissed me off, and yet at the same time, I just couldn't look away from it.

The start of this book is really rocky and poorly written, so I almost DNF'd this several times in the beginning. There's tons of really poor writing behaviors like lots of tedious telling and backstory, introducing characters poorly and so many characters at once that it is impossible to keep anyone straight, etc. However, if you just hang in there for a bit, the writing becomes significantly better, and I think why I enjoyed this so much is that the writing is extremely emotional. This will put all your emotions through the wringer. Twice. In every chapter.

At the end of the day, if I knew these people in real life, I would think them very selfish and be pretty disappointed in them. But I don't, which means I could just enjoy the benefits of their indiscretions without having to feel too poorly about who they hurt in the process.



Effortless (Thoughtless, #2)Effortless by S.C. Stephens
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was an exhausting read that went nowhere but in circles. It could have been about 1/4 this long. I almost quit the series here, because this book was largely pointless. However, I decided to continue on and give book 3 a try.

I really like the emotional storytelling. I just wish this had an actual plot or point.

Honestly, having finished the series, you could probably skip this book, go straight on to book 3 and be just fine. You won't miss that much.


Reckless (Thoughtless, #3)Reckless by S.C. Stephens
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a major improvement over book 2 and probably the best of the 3 so far, though I'm glad it is the end of these two and their story, as I think the whole series was about 2 or 3 times as long as it really needed to be.

That being said, I'm absolutely picking up book 4, because GRIFFIN. Honestly, I wish every book in this series had been about a different set of characters. That would have been more interesting and made the series stronger, as well as helped develop side characters.


Untamed (Thoughtless, #4)Untamed by S.C. Stephens
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

OMG GRIFFIN. This book is by far the best in the series. It just has so much voice. I was obsessed. Now, I am extremely happy I got over my grumpiness near the start of the series and continued onward, or I would have never read this beauty.

For anyone who hasn't read the series, I'm totally onboard with you just reading book 4 as a stand alone. Technically, you shouldn't do that. There are things that it helps to know leading up to that point, but if you start the series and get sick of the 2Ks, then just skip to the end and read this one. It's fantastic.

I enjoyed watching the long spiral downward, and the way Griffin finally picked himself back up, got his shit together, and started to grow up.


No comments:

Post a Comment