Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge


Thursday, January 23, 2020

ALL THE THINGS #2: Set of 12 Books

The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining WomenThe Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women
by Kate Moore

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

So I have been crying intermittently for about the past 2 hours now, because this book is 1 part fascinating, 1 part informative, 1 part heartfelt, and 7 parts horrifying. This level of suffering is unimaginable. I am so saddened by what occurred, but I’m glad that I read this book to learn more about these bold and determined women.


Let Me Hear a RhymeLet Me Hear a Rhyme by Tiffany D. Jackson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really wanted to like this far more than I actually did. On the plus side, we had the characters and setting, but the pacing was just all off for me. It felt like the novel really drug, and I found myself getting bored a lot. I think having read ON THE COME UP recently, it was hard not to draw some comparisons and find this one to be lacking.

But it’s definitely okay, just not brilliant or earth-shattering, which is what I’m always hoping for.


Renegades (Renegades, #1)Renegades by Marissa Meyer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is my 3rd time though, in preparation for reading the final book. And this is still glorious. I really have enjoyed revisiting these characters and this world.

PREVIOUS REVIEW:
#BecRereads2019

Superb! This one gets 5 Super stars, with bonus magical powers.

I’m so happy to be rereading this one, in preparation for reading book 2 for the first time.

I adore how this explores the same situation from different perspectives. It walks that fine line between what is right and what is wrong, as well as who is good and who is bad. It’s a reminder that most of the world and life exists in the gray areas, not in the black and white areas.

Book 45 read in 2019

Pages: 552


Crazy Rich Asians (Crazy Rich Asians, #1)Crazy Rich Asians
by Kevin Kwan

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It’s a standard, decent read, that let me see the world through some different eyes and mindsets, which is good. But it wasn’t really as exciting and compelling as I hoped it would be. The overall plot is a bit meh, so I was there for the characters and culture.


You (You, #1)You by Caroline Kepnes

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I confess that it first, I found this book a bit tedious, but then it really started getting into the inner-workings of the characters and it became much more compelling as the story progressed.

I listened to this on audiobook and really enjoyed the narration.


The FlatshareThe Flatshare by Beth O'Leary
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was absolutely adorable and had such a great premise with some unexpected depth. I really just wanted a tiny bit more oomph and a bit more development in the side characters. I guess I expected just a few more truly funny moments, and it went the sweet but serious route instead. That’s fine, too, but I was craving just a bit more lighthearted fun. Otherwise, I really enjoyed it.

I listened to the audiobook, which had 2 unique narrators that I thoroughly enjoyed.


The Gentleman’s Guide to Getting Lucky (Montague Siblings, #1.5)The Gentleman’s Guide to Getting Lucky
by Mackenzi Lee

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Amusing and so darned sweet.

This is a great little novella, and anyone who loves the series will want to pick this up and give it a read.







Marriage for OneMarriage for One by Ella Maise
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Such a great, slow-burning “fake marriage” romance novel. I really enjoyed this one. It's full of kind, sweet, and heartfelt moments, which is lovely, but the two main characters still butt heads and bicker just a little bit, to help keep it realistic.

I listened to this on audiobook, and the narration was good. I couldn't stop listening, because I was addicted to this story.


The Barbarian Before Christmas (Ice Planet Barbarians, #15.5)The Barbarian Before Christmas

by Ruby Dixon

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Cute. But I'm clearly obsessed with the Ice Planet Barbarians.


Barbarian's Tease (Ice Planet Barbarians, #15)Barbarian's Tease

by Ruby Dixon

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I really enjoyed Brooke and Taushen.


Aftershocks (Ice Planet Barbarians, #8.5)Aftershocks

by Ruby Dixon

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A good read with some added insights and different POVs addressing the big shake, or whatever you want to call it. This is the only novella that focuses primarily on relationships, family units, and the strength of the tribe, rather than just sexy fun times. There’s none of that in this book, though you do get some good cuddles and a lot of heart.


Barbarian's Valentine; A Slice Of Life (Ice Planet Barbarians, #16.6)Barbarian's Valentine; A Slice Of Life

by Ruby Dixon

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A touch of sweet, and a touch of serious. I enjoyed the contrast.

No comments:

Post a Comment