Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge


Thursday, August 16, 2018

Audible Romance Package Reads

Well, I "accidentally" signed up for the free month trial of the Audible Romance Package, and this is the end result (so far)


The Knocked up PlanThe Knocked up Plan by Lauren Blakely
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a short, sexy read, with excellent narrators. I found it to be absolutely charming, and I was really routing for the couple.

Basically, they are both love/relationship columnists and radio show hosts, as well as coworker friends. She decides she wants to find a donor and become a single mom, and she decides he's the perfect donor. It turns out that he prefers the old fashioned method of donation, versus the clinical one, and that's when this becomes interesting.

Book 254 read in 2018

Pages: 403

Sexy StrangerSexy Stranger by Kendall Ryan
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This is short and pretty cliche. The whole thing is full of stereotypes, and it's so stuck in its trope that it forgets to be unique and exciting outside of the formula it is so determinedly following.

I don't think I would read another book by this author, as the writing isn't brilliant, and she states the obvious a lot, instead of expecting the reader to understand (which just annoys me). The characters are more like caricatures, and the world building is surface level. Also, it plays into a lot of sterotypes, but not in a way that shows discovery or growth. Instead, it just perpetuates the sterotypes, which I don't like.

There are just so many better romance novels out there these days. No reason to settle for the kind that get churned out by the hundreds every year and you can pick up for a quarter at any garage sale.

So it's not terrible, but really, it's not worth your time. However, it is short, so there's that.

Book 255 read in 2018

Pages: 302

WanderlustWanderlust by Lauren Blakely
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a fun story for those who have itchy feet (the urge to travel, not a fungus...). The female lead relocates to Paris for her job, and she has a meet cute with a British guy, who works as a translator. Things get more interesting and conflicted from there.

If you listen to the audio, you'll enjoy the different languages and accents in the narration. French sounds so much better when spoken by someone with some level of fluency, as opposed to how it sounds when I'm butchering it inside my mind (sorry, Mom!).

Book 256 read in 2018

Pages: 300


Cake (Cake, #1)Cake by J. Bengtsson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This was absolutely delicious. It's an emotional read, with a strong story line and fascinating characters who grow right in front of you. Sure, it's the "rock star meets regular gal" trope, but it's so well written that it never felt cliche or stereotypical. I even fell in love with some of the side characters.

I now understand why it won an Ab award for best book boyfriend with Audible, as it was well deserved.

Book 257 read in 2018

Pages: 611

The Theory of Second Best (Cake, #2)The Theory of Second Best by J. Bengtsson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I almost love this one even more than book one, which I didn't think was going to be possible. Kyle and Kenzie are both such interesting characters that I was completely charmed from start to finish, even at points when neither of them was particularly charming.

The whole reality show twist to this one was a lot of fun, too, and again, I adored so many of the side characters.

Book 258 read in 2018

Pages: 526

No comments:

Post a Comment